Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Oh, To Be A Kid Again...

I've already been through a decade or two of kid envy - looking at the toy and game choices of younger generations as they have evolved through the years.

My generation was on the cusp of children's electronic technology. My father bought an early VCR for $800. We had a Pong game (the one you plugged into your television) then an Atari 2600 then a Commodore 64 where the best my father's generation could have hoped for as an electronic game was "Operation."

Now, powerful personal computers, the mobile laptop and home entertainment systems like Playstation and Xbox (all possibly linked to all-connective Internet) are commonplace. And as I've grown up and older with them, I haven't been as jealous of these innovations.

Until I saw this:


The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore iPad App Trailer from Moonbot Studios on Vimeo.

Is it a book? Is it a video game? Whatever it is, it looks to be an adventure. The only thing I could possibly equate it with is the mystery books of my childhood - where you would get to choose what happened next and the choice would tell you which page to turn, continuing your reading.

Author William Joyce, writer of some of Pixar's early works, has created a book not just to be read, but explored. Options. Games. Animation.

I am officially jealous.

No comments: