Thursday, November 18, 2010

About Me

I'm 42. I joked when I turned that age that I should know the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" (re the Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide series.) Like in the book, I now know the question is "What do you get if you multiple six by nine?" Also, like in the book, I now know there is something fundamentally wrong with the universe and that I still don't have the real answer.

I'm currently unemployed, though that's not entirely true. As of late, I have been working occasionally as an extra on movie sets in and around Atlanta. Interesting work, if you can get it. It helps that I am a film nerd so I find all aspects of movie production fascinating.

I fancy myself a writer, even though it's been a long while since I've been paid to write. I have been a newspaper reporter/editor, columnist and public relations director. I have had two short plays produced and have placed well in some screenwriting competitions. I've also been asked to submit additional materials to Marvel Comics, something that people in the know have told me never happens. Eventually I'd like to write for movies or television.

Occasionally, I do stand-up at open mic nights. I enjoy writing comedy and do most of it through my Twitter feed, which I started about six months ago. My humor ranges from social commentary that speaks out against the world to pure goofiness that speaks out against the world (but, if you keep reading here, I guess you will eventually realize that.)

My life is pretty simple right now. I'm single and I am living with my parents. (Yes, I do literally live in the room above the garage.) After the end of an eight-year relationship and leaving my job as a store manager with a video rental chain currently undergoing bankruptcy, I moved to Georgia to reset my life. It has proved tougher than I thought it would be.

I have four chihuahuas and two cockatiels from my previous relationship. My dogs are sometimes smarter than I am; my birds always whistle better.

I am trying to figure out who I am and change the parts of me that I don't like or aren't helping me succeed. This blog is part of that process.

And, as always, I like microwaveable turkey dogs.

No comments: